Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, January 30, 2006

qayamat se..

whoa ridley's 18?!?!?!?!
like omg.
ridley!!! You are just so mature and sophisticated and grown up and genteel that I feel like you've been 18 since you were 16.

O wow, I can't even begin to contemplate how retarded that sentence sounds.

Anyhoos. Congratulations Rids!!

And congratulations Isaacs! You are simply the most amazing globetrotter I know.

I have had a long weekend, and I just don't know what to do with myself. Everytime I am presented with lots of free time, I go nuts, and when I have no time, I go nuts. It's not exactly a win-win situation.
O foo.

I just finished The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, and I am impressed. I feel like he's the sort of a writer who's good because of all his contacts, rather than his writing style. But it's really informative guys, check it out. It's about outsourcing, supply-chaining, offshoring and stuff. Good read.

Can you guys recommend books for me? I had started Catch-22 a year ago, but clearly, that's not getting anywhere. I read a few pages a week. It's all good. I bought Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison recently, but I don't know if I'm going to read it. Seriously, I waste so much money, I'm ashamed of myself. Anyways, so can you guys suggest good reading? And please, keep me in mind when you're doing this, because I will have to cry if you talk to me abt, you know, Crime and Punishment or The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.
;]

K bye.
Sam-yu

8 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

I can't believe you just put Crime and Punishment and the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire in the same context! You dirty punk and a half! "like omg!" I almost don't want to speak to you. Whenever I go nuts, I revert back to my favorite kids' authors. A.A. Milne, Lewis Carroll, Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, and one of my new favorites, Tove Janssons. She writes the Finn Family Moomintroll books, very much fun. I haven't read this one myself, but I hear that Moominland Midwinter is pretty fun. If that doesn't work, give Ellison a try.

4:35 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney - it should make you cry, but it makes you laugh instead.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon - or did you read this already? It is wicked good, probably my favorite novel right now. The narrative voice is truly amazing.

Umm . . . if you like sci-fi/fantasy, Garth Nix's Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen trilogy can't be beat for a fast and fun read. I believe Dylan was boosting those at TASP, too.

4:49 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

If you wanted more non-fiction economics reading, I would suggest either Stephen Levitt's Freakonomics (gang structures, cheating in sumo wrestling) or Charles Wheelan's Naked Economics (it's got a guy in his skivvies on the front!)

6:31 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

READ CATCH-22. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM!?!?!

It's thought-provoking, original, life-changing.... those other books that you mentioned sounds like literature... like, stuff that english majors read to try to feel better than people.

Catch-22 is just that awesome, read it.

7:53 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

China. Mieville. If you listen to any recommendation from me ever, this would be the one. Perdido Street Station and Iron Council are straight-up ridiculous...you will see if you listen to the voice of reason. Not sure how to describe his work cept as Weird Fiction: Blend of sci-fi/fantasy/horror/awesome. Imagine Victorian England where all the different ethnicities and subcultures are represented by different alien-like creatures and class-warfare and social theory is depicted through incredibly cool fight scenes with magic and........CRAZINESS!!!! I know this might not sound up your alley, but this is by far some of the finest fiction I've read in a long time. Dude got his PhD from the London School of Economics and has been a superstar novelist on the side...funny, but he gets at some weighty things...and has superb action sequences.

Joseph Heller is a Titan. Catch-22 is Out of Sight. I wrote about it for my TASP essay actually... its got some interesting things to say and is hilarious like few other books (Confederacy of Dunces comes to mind...).

I speed-skimmed through Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen one day over break and was reminded how spectacular Garth Nix is. Those were some great stories.

Congrats Ridley!

Keep on rockin' ya'll.

Adios

-Isaac

1:57 AM, January 31, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Try Jasper Fforde's books. He wrote a mini-series of four novels about agent Thursday Next, of the Swindon Literatecs, who has to save Jane Eyre froom the clutcches of Acheron Hades (the world's third most evil criminal).

They're basically fantastically fun reads of the tongue-in-cheek kind for book lovers, set in a world where dodos are commonplace pets, books are literally worlds unto themselves, and cheese is contraband. Worth a try.

If that fails, read Terry Pratchett.

12:04 PM, February 02, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

... qayamat tak...

OK, I still have no idea why you used that title.

5:30 PM, February 02, 2006

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

aaaaaaaaaaah Jason, I lub uu!! hahaha, you took the trouble of finding out the ending to qayamat se?!
And I had just finished watching that movie, and was touched. It's realllly good. Also, when you do a post, you usually (at least for me) have no idea what ur going to write about. =]

7:05 PM, February 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home