Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, August 14, 2006

We still rock

Hey,

It's been way too long since I posted anything. I feel sort of like a blog-murderer, especially in light of the fresh, flowing '06 TASPer blogs. *hand on chin*

Right now, I'm at Stanford Summer Engineering Academy, which is a summer program for incoming freshmen at Stanford who are prospective engineering majors. It's a little weird to be at a summer program that is sort of like the beginning of college instead - I keep on thinking, a la TASP, "Quick, we have to do this before the program ends in September!" and then remembering that I will be with these people for four years. I'm not sure what to think about that. I've never lived in a single place for four years since my ninth birthday. Maybe I'll go crazy staying in one place for so long and have to transfer . . . but I doubt it. I think Stanford is going to be a bit like TASP: e.g. I played Ultimate (!!!) for the first time since I was in Michigan. And I think we're probably going to watch Napoleon Dynamite (yess!), since there's a kid named Pedro here from Mexico who has never seen it. Plus we're already developing a sub-culture of inside jokes that are weirdly duplicative in spirit to musicking, reification, John Sinclair, squirrels, etc. But I still love you guys! TASP '05 rocks.

Speaking of remaining strongly united despite our geographical disparity (is that a correct usage of "disparity"?), some people here at SSEA want to make a trip up to Berkeley later this month to see their friends who are Cal students. Isaac and Christina, any chance you'll be free at some point the weekend of the 26th and 27th? Or the weekend after that? It's actually unlikely that I'll come, since they're probably going on Sunday and that will likely conflict with my church meetings, but I'm keeping my options open. And if it doesn't work out, we have four years. : )

1. Late in the Evening - Paul Simon
2. Black Capricorn Day - Jamiroquai
3. Something So Right - Paul Simon
4. Raise Your Fist in the Air - Ozomatli
5. Manteca - Dizzy Gillespie

Groetjes,
Sam

4 Comments:

Blogger IsaacNoah said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

And thus Sam Pimentel falls (possibly, remotely, conceivably) into the dark dominion of Berkeley.

Um...yup, I'm pretty much free any time you want to come chill in the East Bay. Alternately, I might take a trip down to Stanford if you don't have a chance to make it up north.

And-- what is this "Raise Your Fist in the Air?" I stopped listening to Ozo after "Street Signs" which I thought was pretty awful. However, their first two albums are impeccable in very distinct ways, so, they are way good in my book. Is this a new song? Enlighten me, if you please.

Isaac

2:08 PM, August 14, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

This is just a song one of my friends here at Stanford showed me, trying to convert me to hip-hop - I know almost nothing about Ozomatli. I dislike most of the hip-hop I've heard, but I enjoyed "Raise Your Fist in the Air," which is heavy on the instrumentation and has a rock-solid bass line. Don't know which album it's from, but I may have to look into it.

1:32 AM, August 15, 2006

 
Blogger Henrik Herb said...

I don't know about Ozo's albums, but seeing them live is quite the trip. If you ever get the chance, you'll most probably see most members playing multiple different instruments, a guest artist, and a finale where they all jump off stage into the crowd where they proceed to have a drum circle. More than just hip-hop.

12:00 PM, August 15, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

Ozo is (or was) by far one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

I saw their old DJ -Cut Chemist- give an in-store performance yesterday at Amoeba records. He is ridiculous. They took quite a hit when he and Charlie 2na (their mc) left to do Jurassic 5 full time. Still, their second album was pretty dope (and if I remember correctly won a Grammy) featuring such greats as Common and De La Soul.

I saw them live right before their most recent album, bought it when it came out, and returned it the next day. Disappointing.

1:02 PM, August 18, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home