Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Yet more World Cup news

First, we got our visas! Still a few more administrative hurdles to pass, but we should be able to leave Cairo by the end of the week. *breathes sigh of relief* Now on to the really important stuff.

France-Brazil last night, 1-0. The best World Cup game yet, possibly the best this year. Anybody else see it? It was the first time I'd seen the Brazilians play, and Charles is right, there really is something exceptional about the way they move the ball. But they didn't manage to score somehow, and France put on an amazing show, with all sorts of improbable offensive breakaways and ball wizardry by Zidane. Still, I couldn't quite believe it when they won - what a dramatic show by an underdog! I'm behind France all the way for the final now.

Also, I have come to the conclusion that the Portuguese player Ronaldo looks just like an Anime character.

That is all.

- Sam

6 Comments:

Blogger Charles Wu said...

I really hope the final is France v. Germany (You have to watch out for the Soviet Union in the second half), because an Italy-Portugal game will be 90 minutes of diving, moaning, and general cheapness. Ugh. And too bad we won't have a Portugese-language faceoff :(

7:00 PM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

I was actually really hoping for an England/Germany final, but alas...

I'm just happy that France won! I always go for the underdogs.

9:19 PM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

But Charles, we DID have a Portugese language faceoff: Portugal and Angola. Man, I'm sick of this European hegemony! When Portugal beat Angola it was like colonization all over again to me, and I just can't forgive Portugal for that. I know, that's ridiculous, but I'm still going to name my first son Joao Ricardo after Angola's keeper (whose parents were colonists...make of that what you will).

10:49 AM, July 04, 2006

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

Hmm... colonies didn't do so well against their former masters; Togo lost to France, and the US would probably have lost against England; Australia too.

6:54 PM, July 04, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

Portugal's keeper is named Ricardo, too, isn't he? Huh.

And *snap snap* completely on the European hegemony thing. I was reading a National Geographic article that said something about how World Cup soccer is refreshing because nations that dominate the world politically and economically (the examples given were Japan and the US) don't necessarily win or do well, and poor, underdeveloped countries get a shot at glory. That's a nice thought, but it totally disregards the way European teams dominate the soccer world. Not that I can blame Europeans for being good at soccer - it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the World Cup gets all sorts of lip service for representing all the countries of the world equally.

1:48 PM, July 05, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

Ya, I think Portugal has a couple of Ricardos, and I'm still trying to convince an 8 year-old boy I've watched some of the games with that Christiano Ronaldo is not THE Ronaldo. Apparently the Portugese don't have much variety in family names.

6:25 PM, July 05, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home