Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

I tripped on my shoelace and discovered something.

I just got a laptop, and I was transfering all my music from my CDs onto it when I noticed that Shel Silverstein wrote Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue." And apparently, the idea for the title comes from the name of the lawyer who defended John Scopes whose name was Sue Hicks. Oh, and there's also a version of the story from the father's point of view that Silverstein wrote. Just know before you read it that the last stanza might make you "get sick to your stomach and throw down."

2 Comments:

Blogger Henrik Herb said...

Shel Silverstein wrote many songs that Johnny Cash played. He was quite the writer, he also wrote '25 minutes' (I think that's the title), the song about how a convict has 25 minutes until his death. He was also a musician, composer, cartoonist and screenwriter. Quite the guy. Word has it he had a dirty mind as well: according to Wikipedia he drew cartoons for and once lived in the Playboy Mansion and made a book all about adult-dirty jokes called "Different Dances". When I found all this stuff out, my view of all those popular poem books changed dramatically. Did you know that Roal Dahl also wrote really 'dirty' adult books as well? Hm...

10:39 AM, August 21, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

Maybe it's a trend. I've heard Lemony Snicket writes by that name because he uses his real name on raunchy romance novels and doesn't want parents to think poorly of the Unfortunate Events series.

6:56 PM, August 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home