Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Taspers making waves

Hey-oh! Paul Wolfowitz isn't the only tasper worthy of a three page spread. Check this out from Smithsonian; it's Daniel Alarcon, who Jason told us about awhile ago. I read his short stories, but I'll have to check out the novel. Sorry, my scanner was a bit too small.

Anyhow, the issue was about kickass people 35 and younger. Others featured include Sufjan (although he's a grad from Calvin's rival college, I can accept that he's kind of awesome), Regina Spektor, and Reza Aslan. Check it out at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger IsaacNoah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:59 PM, October 25, 2007

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

Thanks for linking this Emma!

Apparently Alarcon lives in Oakland and teaches at Mills yet I have somehow never read his work or looked him up...

shame! shame! I shall atone.

Other coolness: Also featured in that same issue of Smithsonian is Marc Bamuthi Joseph, the artistic director for Youth Speaks, one of the non-profits that I work with in the Bay. Bamuthi is an exceptional artist who blends dance with spoken word in full-length play form. He is also the director of the Living Word Festival, which is going on right now. As a part of the festival, his play Scourge is showing in San Francisco. I haven't had a chance to see it yet but I'm gonna volunteer at the show tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited about that.

If you want to read about Bamuthi, here's the link:

www.smithsonianmag.com/specialsections/innovators/joseph.html

Also- the direct link to the article on Alarcon is:

www.smithsonianmag.com/specialsections/innovators/alarcon.html

4:41 PM, October 25, 2007

 
Blogger Emma said...

Another one I'm sure you know is Mayda del Valle. My suitemates and I introduced my roommate to her poetry this weekend, and I think she's hooked. Do you know of any slam within a few hours of Grand Rapids, because I think we could use a suite field trip.

1:36 AM, October 27, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home