Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Check it out

I know that this is supposed to go on the recs. page, but I couldn't resist:

My music player was on random, and it played two of my favorite new artists that I'd forgotten about. Both artists are mellow without being soporific, which is a welcome change. I think two of the best albums of 2004 were "Solace" by Xavier Rudd, and "Trouble" by Ray Lamontagne. If you haven't heard these albums, you seriously need to check them out. Xavier Rudd is the only person who's ever made a convincing case for the use of the didgeridoo, and his slide guitar work is reminiscent of Ry Cooder. He channels a little bit of Ben Harper, I think.
Ray Lamontagne has these really beautiful, simple songs that are sort of blues folk. It's the soundtrack of Sunday afternoon. He has a very distinctive voice. It's like, "Sing it, Ray Lamontagne! But wait, you're white? Really?

Specific songs to check out:
"Shelter" - Ray Lamontagne
"Trouble" - Ray Lamontagne
"Let Me Be" - Xavier Rudd
"Solace Amongst Sin" - Xavier Rudd

Also, I've seen two movies about ballroom dancing in the past three days, and I've decided that it's pretty much the best sport ever invented, aside from curling.

Time and time we see these acts against humanity...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Curling is pretty tough to top.

3:55 PM, January 11, 2006

 
Blogger Henrik Herb said...

Meredith, I saw Xavier Rudd at Bonnaroo when he played with Ozomatli. Ray played there as well, but I didn't get to see them. Yes I agree totally with you about those two, and Xavier just has that didj down! Check out Keller Williams, he has similar stuff, but he's also got a weird trancy aspect to him. Check out Freaker by the Speaker and some of his more poppy stuff, and I think you'll dig. He does most of his albums solo, and his performances as well, through looping. It's pretty amazing, but he's another singer/songwriter 'in the know' of today. Check out Xavier's new album too: Food for ... ahh i can't remember, but it rocks.

3:31 PM, January 12, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

"Freaker by the Speaker" is on our TASP Party Mix. Good stuff.

5:09 PM, January 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home