Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Visiting Caltech

OK, so it's been a while since I posted last. Um . . . on New Year's Eve (old news, I know, but bear with me) I jammed with a couple of my cousins, one of whom has a degree in woodwind performance and is currently doing graduate work in music. He plays a mean saxophone solo . . . brought back many happy memories of our TASP jam session *sniff.*

A couple days after New Years my dad and I drove down to Pasadena to visit Caltech. It's kind of like MIT, only much more math-and-science concentrated - they have only about 900 undergrads (ALL of whom have some kind of math- or science-related major), but there's a 3 to 1 student:faculty ratio and 32 Nobel prizes won by professors. They have NASA's jet propulsion laboratory, a giant tank of liquid nitrogen (which is "pretty freely available" according to the information session), and a swimming pool behind the admissions office. Also, there is great weather (as that last would suggest). Plus a better hack record than MIT. Definitely a pretty ill school, if you like math and science and can get in. I'm still waiting on that last . . .

I finally got my apps all sent in, plus the Cornell House app (woot!). I have a BYU scholarship I need to get around to applying for in the next month, plus an extra essay McGill wants me to hand in (but they don't list a deadline for it . . . those silly Canadians!).

This morning I was trying to associate particular musicians or music genres with particular dishes - e.g. Simon and Garfunkel is a glass of 2 percent milk, bebop is crab, Vivaldi's Four Seasons are pasta with artichoke hearts in white sauce. It strikes me as the kind of exercise somebody else taught me, but I can't come up with a specific memory. Hmmm . . .

1. Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon and Garfunkel
2. Mardi Gras in New Orleans - Dirty Dozen Brass Band
3. Opus Pocus - Jaco Pastorius with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock
4. Call Me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Understand Your Man - Johnny Cash

Groetjes,
Sam

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

I now have this image in my mind of Caltech kids clutching thermos containers in front of the giant liquid nitrogen tank, and running away gleefully to their dorm rooms to do who knows what with the stuff... it's bizarre.

7:18 PM, January 10, 2006

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

I can just see a bunch of nerds beating up a fit young athlete for "contaminating the stock bottle". Hmmmmm..... It's a bit scary, now that I think of it...

9:07 PM, January 10, 2006

 
Blogger berno said...

something tells me that any hazing at that school would be a memorable experience.

10:47 PM, January 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home