Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

In the shadow of John Calvin.

I'm going to have to make this as brief as possible because I have massive research to do for a paper about Chinese literature in the Song dynasty.

Like, well, everyone, I'm crazy busy and insanely happy about it. Everyday I go to about six lectures and a movie, go to a concert every weekend (did I tell you guys about Danielson? The Psalters? Sierre Leone Refugee Allstars? AND Sufjan and Anathallo are coming. Yes!), and anytime I can throw in some rock climbing, environmental stewardship coalition or social justice committee I do. I figured that at a Christian college in the midwest, campus life would not be the best part of school, but I've been very happily surprised. I chose Calvin because I figured I could do about five semesters of study abroad, but I love life here so much that I've lowered that down to just two, and I want to really invest myself in this place.

Last night I modeled in a campus fashion show. It was fantastic! (pictures will come soon.) I didn't think my hair was long enough to do anything with, but it was curled and they put more makeup on me than I've worn in about the last three years put together. A girl on my floor made the dress; it was strapless, dark burgundy with a big fur strip down the side and a totally awesome hood. It was pretty amazing stomping down the runway, but I was crazy nervous! It's nothing like performing a solo on stage or anything, it's so much crazier. I had to go commando and as soon as I got out there the foremost thought in my mind was, "My word. I am not wearing any underwear!" I hope I can do it again when I'm less nervous.

What else can I say? It's alright going to school so close to home--I eat lunch with my mum and sister once a week, since they're both on campus because my sister is student and my mum's a prof, and I usually go home for a meal on Sunday. The whole Christian college thing is alright. Certainly not everyone's a Christian and this ISN'T Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. People are open-minded and incredibly intelligent, my professors are amazing and truly first-rate. There are a few idiots on campus, but I suppose that's not unique to Calvin. I like going to chapels because unlike my highschool they aren't mandatory, and it is nice to be able to enter a conversation or discussion with a Christian understanding. It adds another dimension to discussions that I appreciate. I'm afraid that the fact that it's a Christian instituion automatically discredits it, but I've found that this really is a great school, and I'm looking forward to my four years here.

Otherwise, dorm life is great. I'm making a ton of friends and loving life. I live in the newest dorm so we have enormous bathrooms that we share between four people, a large community kitchen and a nice lobby connecting the guys' and girls' wings (yes, we are separated by gender). I live on what we call the Mosaic floor, which is basically just a floor that we had to apply to live on and where the goal is intentional multiculturalism. We also just had UnLearn week, which is a week of lectures and activities aimed at unlearning racism. It brought back some memories of great discussions in the seminar room. I heard a sobering lecture by Tim Wise on white privilege this week, and you should all check out his book White Like Me if you get the chance, which I'm sure you won't since you're all busy with your own amazing lives. But if you get a chance, do think about it.

Ah I love and miss you all! Ridley, do you think I could come to A2 and stay with you on the weekend of Nov. 3? It's not set in stone, but a friend of mine is driving out for the weekend and I might see if I can go with him.

Keep it funky TASPers, and enjoy beautiful fall!
Emma

2 Comments:

Blogger Sanjukta said...

Unlearn week sounds so unique, as does the Mosaic floor. Sounds like you're keeping it different! :)

12:36 PM, October 15, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

Funky indeed!

I'm getting into rock climbing again. Now I remember what I've been missing since seventh grade...

Your life sounds outstanding. Can't say I'm all that surprised. Be well.

5:09 PM, October 16, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home