Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, April 03, 2006

A Ruther Eventful Weekend

First of all,

YAY! WE'RE GOING TO COLLEGE!

Many congratulations on the multitude of acceptances! You are all awesome! As for rejections, pooh on them. No mere form letter will ever dull the brightness of your TASPly intelligences.


OK, now the news from over here.

Bad news:

I broke my nose. In the proud TASP tradition, I was playing a game of Frisbee in the dark on Friday night, and as I made a dash for the glow-in-the-dark disc, I ran smack into another player. After a little adventure in the Dutch medical system (involving two separate hospitals), I emerged with a bandage resembling the facemask of an Etruscan warrior and an injuction not to participate in contact sports (including, presumably, frisbee-in-the-dark) for six weeks. Picture(s) will be arriving on the photobucket soon, I hope.

Good news:

Many fat UPS packages arriving on my doorstep (sound familiar?) from the halls of academe. I have been accepted (yay) to Harvard, Duke, Stanford, and Cornell, as well as CBTA. The CBTA preferment letter also noted that "you have been named the Bedell Scholar as our top incoming foreign student." This mysterious title (do you pronounce it like "beetle," I wonder?) appears to involve being from oversease and receiving some kind of stipend from TA - perhaps I will also get to officiate in certain secret rituals of the Cornell House (they do have secret rituals, I hope). I have requested more information about this.

As for where I'll end up going, um . . . ? My clever strategy was to apply first and wait to see which schools rejected me so my decision would be easier. Instead, I now have 18 days to choose 1 of about 6.

Sometime in the last couple of weeks I watched part of this killer documentary called American Roots Music. I think it was a PBS series? Anyway, it is, like, a total TASP nostalgia-trip, with all sorts of great live footage and recordings of Chicago blues, early bluegrass, folk-revival stuff, plus some interesting sections on Cajun, zydeco, Tejano, and Native American styles. Perhaps the coolest part is the interviews with all sorts of great musical figures - everybody from BB King to Flaco Jimenez ("probably the greatest Chicano accordion player in the world"). My sincere recommendations.

Also, I noticed a financial aid thread on the St. Louis TASP blog. I know that compared to the admissions question, financial aid is kind of an ugly, unglamorous, and awkward topic, but I think a TASPly discussion could be helpful and productive. Can we set up a financial aid thread of our own? Any feelings one way or the other?

Groetjes,

Sam

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

You're amazing.

Massive congrats!

Any idea where you might end up?

Let's make this the finaid thread. I don't have much to contribute, because Princeton is giving me zip. That's because the UN pays for half of my education in grants (which I thought your dad could also make use of... am I mistaken?), which still leaves a very large lump of money to be paid for by my family every year. I'm hoping to get a large annual scholarship (20k) offered by my government, reserved for a Malaysian citizen beginning college in the US. We'll see how that goes.

5:29 PM, April 03, 2006

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

Yikes! What a list of choices! I must bow to your incredible feats, and I hope you find somewhere that fits your heart's desires.

7:42 PM, April 03, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

Oh you incredible genius! Congratulations, Sam, you deserve every one and then some! I can't wait to see your nose pictures, but I'm really sorry and I hope it's not too painful. A girl on my basketball team freshman year broke another girl's nose in practice (very funny..ahem, I mean not funny) and I know it can hurt. Good luck choosing schools!

9:08 PM, April 03, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

Sam, yikes! You never cease to amaze. I definitely pull for Stanford of CalTech, to increase the concentration of California TASP genius to dangerous levels. Which would be awesome. Anyhoo, if you do end up heading to Cornell be sure to tell us about the top secret rituals. But only if that doesn't involve killing us afterward. Hmm... Does that series have any connection to the American Roots music show on NPR? I donno if you've heard that, but it comes out of New Orleans. The host's name is Nick Spitzer and it is phenomenal. If you've never heard it you should look around on the internet and try and find an archive of shows or something. That show is out of control. Again, congratulations! And best of luck with all that.

10:16 PM, April 03, 2006

 
Blogger Meredith said...

The curse of plenty. That's amazing! Good luck, Sam.

10:58 PM, April 03, 2006

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

u are truly something. let's do the finaid thread - good idea.
and jsn - malaysian citizen grant?! That made me laugh.

5:02 PM, April 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home