Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunshine until 8 at night

That is probably the best way I can describe living in Atlanta. Honestly, this is one of the happiest places in the world that I've ever lived in. Emory is wonderful and keeping me as busy as a squirrel before winter. I'm taking four courses and they're all alternately keeping me up until two every morning with work. Especially Freshman Organic Chemistry. What a beast of a class, seriously! I think half my class failed the first exam. And my seminar (Medicine and Literature) has me reading a book every weekend, and asks for a paper due every Tuesday. And don't even get me started on labs. :) But I love being busy, so it's all good.

I can't match you guys in the number of concerts that you've been to, but I have been garba-ing at various colleges in the Atl (and there are a number!) a few weekends for pre-Diwali. Garba is a really fun Indian social dance where you go around in large circles in different step routines and you wave your dandiya sticks around and stuff. And you get to dress up like a princess in all the colorful skirts and scarves. It's awesome. Here's the difference between North India and the South - the northerners have a lot of fun at their get-togethers what with dances and social mixers and what not; the south has good food. yep. So this was my first time at garba, and it was SO different and fun. I love it ALOT.

Atlanta is cool - we're in the heart of it, but it doesn't seem like it at all on campus, and it's not easily accessible to freshman. The Marta transit system is very limited and most destinations take a good amount of walking and shuffling between trains and buses to get to, so unless you know someone with a car, it's very tiring to go explore the city. But that said, the upperclassmen here are extremely friendly and they've taken me and my friends out a number of times. Besides, a couple freshmen that I know brought their cars illegally here with a parking permit bought off of a graduating senior, so we're always going downtown for shopping and dining. I've been to a Braves game (the Astros lost!) and to city restaurants for friends' birthdays. FUNN!!! hahahha

So what else can I elaborate on? ooh, Diwali's coming up and I'm helping to organize it! Friday, the Indian Cultural Exchange has us booked at a really classy hotel in the city, where we get to have great food and watch dances put on by around seven different performing groups - bhangra, garba, Bollywood, and a lot more. I'm taking part in a fashion show too - but ours is a lot more informal than yours, Emma. We're coming out on the runway in fifteen-second comedic skits, in groups of three, so it's more of a laugh then a wow. The second Diwali event is hosted by the Hindu Student Council at the campus chapel on Sat - this one's more traditional and prayer-oriented, and I'm helping to create the Diwali awareness exhibit at the entrance. This weekend is going to be SO awesome! I can barely wait.

And like Meredith, I've been churning out articles for a number of different publications on campus. I'm writing for the Emory Wheel, a science magazine called Hybrid Vigor (my current article is on the science of sex addiction!), and I'm on the board for the literary magazine Alloy, and the Emory Undergraduate Research Journal. I'm learning just as much as I'm contributing, and having the time of my life while I'm at it. My little desk planner is so crammed with reminders and deadlines in the tiniest handwriting - it's so satisfying.

Well I think that's it for now. Sam, I've seen your aunt, Dean Brzyinski speak, but I haven't met her personally yet. I will do so soon!

Lots of love,
Sanjukta

3 Comments:

Blogger IsaacNoah said...

I totally had no idea that Emory was in Atlanta... for some reason I though it was further East. And North.

Huh. Well, that sounds just about as dandy as all get out. Merry Diwali to you.

And: you'll get some poetry sometime... promise.

5:13 PM, October 16, 2006

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

Merry Diwali? haha, that makes it sound so ... jolly, and Santa-Claus-y. haha

Sometime better be soon!

12:09 AM, October 17, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

One of the coolest a cappella groups on campus here is Raagapella, an all-male group that does a lot of Indian music. They put on an amazing show at the beginning of the quarter, complete with Daler-Mehndi-esque dance moves. Haven't seen any announcements for Diwali events around, though. Maybe somebody needs to found an Emory-Stanford Indian Cultural Alliance . . .

2:24 AM, October 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home