Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, January 08, 2007

2007: hopefully it will involve less Britney Spears coverage

Hello again, most beloved and increasingly old TASPers!

I can't believe most of us have already finished first semester of freshman year.  CRAZY.  My dad was teasing me about how I'm 1/8 done with my college career.  This is true, but I also thought the same things about high school, and it still took a long time to finish with that.

Winter break has been excellent, if not entirely restful.  I'm heading to New York tomorrow to go see "The Magic Flute" with my dad.  Then I'm going to wander the streets and The Strand on Tuesday and feel cosmopolitan while my dad does business things.

The only thing I'm nervous about it how I smell.  I'm tempted to just leave it at that, but I'll go on.  My mother and I went shopping a couple of days ago.  Aside from an awkward run-in with a girl I hadn't seen since the 8th grade (and therefore didn't recognize until 2 minutes into the small talk) and her mother (who I'm guessing, knowing my middle school and D.C., called out to us because she wanted to know where I'm going to college), it was uneventful.  Except for one thing: we swung by the perfume counter.  MISTAKE.

I sprayed perfume on my wrist and wanted to keep the other one clean so that I'd have more skin to test blush and eye shadow on.  The lady at the counter, trying to make a sale, insisted that I let her spray samples of "young and fresh" perfumes on each pinkie.  I held out my hands, unsuspecting, and she coated them with two spritzes of perfume, point bank.  I walked through the make-up section of Nordstrom, trying to keep my pinkies elevated and away from the rest of my fingers until they dried (It was of course when I was reeking that I ran into my former classmate).  But my pinkies wouldn't dry; there was too much perfume.  I eventually had to wipe them off on a tissue.

When the lady said "young and fresh," what she really meant was "baby prostitute."  Two showers, multiple hand washings, and two days later, I still reek.  My skin and nostrils gently weep.  Let my plight be a warning to you all about trusting women wielding perfume bottles.

I've decided that, for convenience, the day begins at 6 a.m.  It's just too hard to talk about today/tomorrow when you're up at all hours of the night.  I call it Meredith Standard Time, or MeST.  Therefore, even though it's technically Monday, it's still Sunday in my nocturnal-living-accommodating time zone.

Also, I have a big favor to ask of everyone.  I'm hoping to get more readers for my blog, and there's a way you can help in under five minutes:

Go to http://2007.bloggies.com and nominate my blog for one or more suitable categories like Teen, New Blog, Humorous, Underrepresented...  All you need is an email address and a couple other blogs to nominate for other/the same categories.  The deadline's Wednesday at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Best wishes for the new year,
Meredith

Top 5 Songs That Make Me Think Less About My Smelly Pinkies:

1. Can I Get Get Get - Junior Senior
2. Mishto! - Gogol Bordello
3. In the Countryside - Benjy Ferree
4. Blackbird - The Beatles
5. Love is Lies - The Buzzcocks

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Ha! Thanks to Stanford's trimester system, I'm only 1/12 done with my college career.

2:55 AM, January 08, 2007

 
Blogger Emma said...

Brilliant! I've just adopted Meredith Standard Time, and my life is already so much less complicated.

9:02 PM, January 08, 2007

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Excellent. One convert down, ~7 billion to go.

12:50 AM, January 10, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home