Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Bach... and Blood

Hey everyone!

How's life?

Ridley, hope everything's holding together in Pensacola.

I finished reading A Clockwork Orange. It's a tatty 30 year old copy whose cover fell off this morning, but I got it from the Dawn Treader - remember the Dawn Treader? - so yay for memories of cramped book-lined aisles and the musty smell of ancient paper.

And I liked it. Thanks Charles for fishing it out of the shelf when I had my moment of consumption madness and needed to buy something. My edition has a glossary at the back for interpreting the slang (did any of you read it with only the text?) so the first chapter was an annoying experience, flicking back and forth. Anyway, what stuck in my mind was the bizzare image of the protagonist swept up in a wave of music, listening to Bach or Beethoven, with longing thoughts of rape and knife-fighting and bashed in faces floating through his mind. Very disturbing, especially since this state-of-mind turned out to be the more desirable one.

I was looking for an article on babies' brains on Newsweek. In a fit of boredom, I ended up reading this bizzare bit of news, and all was good in the world. Oh, and Adam for future reference, this is weird:

"Crowds go ape over 'humans' zoo exhibit"
Scantily clad homo sapiens act natural in London Zoo enclosure

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9087023/

Basically it's eight leaf-and-speedo-wearing people playing with hula hoops and other random objects to the visitors' general bemusement. I really do like the premise of this whole undertaking. The zoo is trying to make the public aware of the oft forgotten fact that humans are also animals.

Till later,

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home