Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been too active, but I've been so busy ever since school started, it's hard to really keep up with the blogs. But anyway, I've been talking to a few people on AOL, and Chris, as some of you may know, has a 56k modem (By heavens! You don't mean... no it can't be) and his computer cannot load up this website. He just wanted me to let everyone know that he hasn't forgotten all of you.

Now keep in mind, if someone has already spoken with him about this and told all you guys on the Blog, my igorance is a mere lack of time.

Sam, you should look for the album Axis: Bold as Love by Hendrix, my personal favorite. The album art is not only psychedelic and intriguing, but the music itself just makes an incredible stance in the dialogical history of music, standing out like a branch on the tree of time, incredibly unique and all its own.

And regarding the Achebe article, I think he's wrong. Conrad used Marlowe as the second narrator for a purpose: so Conrad could show Marlowe's own hypocrisy. I could elaborate on this much more, but I'm a little too lazy and short on time. But anyway, you'll find in the instances that Marlowe stops telling the story throughout the book, you can find many hints and much symbolism of his own hypocrisy, thus reflecting the motif of whites claiming to practice idealistic imperialism, when in fact it's mere rascism and want of ivory and wealth. Furthermore, I believe the rascist aspect of Marlowe (not Conrad) is a minor part of the book. The main message I retrieved was the human condition that exists in every human being, and how different environments create different peoples (this goes back to another book I have to read for AP World, called Gun, Germs, and Steel, where Jared Diamond takes a marvelous stand on geo-determinism). I believe Conrad was trying to show the savage in us all, and how it can be released amongst us and how people can practice restraint.

Other than that, I've been chillin here in Vermont. I hope you all got the postcards I sent you, and I miss you all very much. Dylan, at some point I'm going to visit Sudbury Massachusettes to meet some family friends. They are also extreme liberals, and I think your family would love to meet them and perhaps we could get together.

Lata all

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

You are absolutely right about Heart of Darkness. Achebe's perspective misses a lot of good stuff. Actually, the only reason I read it was for a special assignment where we had to choose a school of literary criticism from which to analyze the book. I chose post-colonialism, which doesn't like Conrad much. The Marlow point is a good one, though; Achebe dismisses it in the essay, but not effectively, I think. The best thing about that essay was just its pure extremism. Not very convincing, but tons of fun.

4:56 PM, September 12, 2005

 
Blogger Henrik Herb said...

I'm glad you agree with me. Everyone in my class just takes up any contradiction and follows it, like a trend of Japanese Playing Cards. I hate to say it, but Middlebury High School has little intellectual twang.

12:01 AM, September 18, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home