Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Musings

Today I tried to introduce the snapping concept to my language class, and it failed miserably. But never fear, I will continue to snap alone until people catch on! I will not give up!

Also, you guys should pick up the book The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. It is a story about a man's involvement in Vietnam, but he expands to the power of language and even a version of modern-day poshlust. It is an extremely powerful book, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dylan said...

If you liked The Things They Carried (great stories, BTW) you must read In Pharaoh's Army by Tobias Wolff. This is non-negotiable. You'll love it.

12:22 AM, September 10, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

I read Tim O'Brien's short story The Things they Carried, but it was only about 10 pages long - is that what you're talking about, Charles? Anyway, it really is amazing. Much of the story is just lists of things that G.I.s carried with them in Vietnam, but it provides a powerful commentary on war. And for all those Poisonwood Bible junkies out there, the first section of the Poisonwood Bible is chock-full of allusions to The Things they Carried (in fact, I think it's even named after it).

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for In Pharaoh's Army.

2:39 AM, September 10, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Yup, the beginning of The Poisonwood Bible is indeed titled "The Things We Carried". Looks like O'Brien's book and In Pharaoh's Army are further additions to my to-buy list (for when I next reach an English-speaking country).

Jason

7:39 AM, September 10, 2005

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

Well, I think the book is a collection of his stories, interspersed with bits of commentary on his writing process and his experiences. So it's not just one story, no.

11:44 AM, September 10, 2005

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

The Things They Carried was amazing. My second favorite war-related book (sorry, nothing beats Catch-22.) If you haven't read it or are currently justfying not reading it by saying you have a list you want to get through, then you are seriously missing out, lol.

7:31 PM, September 10, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home