Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Mercurial Mercury

Anybody know the Mercury Prize? Yes? OK, then I apologize if what follows is old news.

I recently heard about this rather prestigious award. Every year, it goes to the best album by a Commonwealth or British artist. Judging by various bbc articles, the selection committee has a history of making surprising (for the sake of being unpredictable) decisions, which I find both bizarre and strangely endearing. Case in point: this year, the Kaiser Chiefs were favourites to win, but weren't, if that makes sense, because the judges apparently hate to let the favourite win.

Another appealing thing is the vast range of talent that makes it to the Mercury shortlist of 12. One of the contenders this year was guitarist/fiddler/violist/vocalist Seth Lakeman, whose album Kitty Jay cost $500 to produce and was recorded in his kitchen. Another was Coldplay's X&Y.

So anyway, last Tuesday, the prize went to to pianist and singer Antony Hegarty. Others rave, but I don't like Antony's voice; it makes me shiver in a very unpleasant way.

However, each year's shortlist is definitely worth checking out. 2005's includes Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall who you should definitely listen to if you haven't already. Think along the lines of rock meets folk. And Emma will be pleased to hear that M.I.A.'s Arular also made the final 12.

Moving on...

A French reunion would be great, but I doubt I'd be able to make it. For Sam and me, May 2006 will be the month of craaazy IB Exams. Oh the joy.

Dylan, the Pirates vs. Ninjas club sounds freakin' awesome. Which ninja movie were they showing? I tried thinking of one and came up with a blank. Most Asian action films are about Kung Fu fighters (I still can't get over the fact that ninjas are Japanese... I mean... really?!), and I assume The Last Samurai doesn't count.

While I'm blabbering away I might as well urge you all to get Facebook accounts. Go to http://www.thefacebook.com and use you UMich e-mails. Then add me! (and Charles and Meredith and Sophie and Dylan and Rid and Emily - although Emily seems to have abandoned her account - did I oversee anyone?) .

Christina, Chris, and Jenny, where are you guys? If you're still having problems blogging, just e-mail me and I'll try and help.

That's all for now.

Till later,

Jason

1 Comments:

Blogger Charles Wu said...

The best ninja film evar is definitely Ninja Scroll, this wonderfully sweet anime feature.... Of course, I'm not sure you could show that at school, ever.

5:33 PM, September 10, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home