Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Be-Bop and Catch-22

Man, procrastination...

It's one in the morning, and I am currently writing a paper juxtaposing Brave New World and Catch-22. It's pretty crazy how I managed to whip up some ideas during the eleventh hour, but nevertheless, it's early and I'm tired. Oh well, tomorrow's the last school day of the week, so I'll crash or something when I get home. This will occur in a similar fashion to when I would finish eating lunch at TASP, then immediately proceed to the couch in the next room, pretend to start reading and sleep for 3 hours or so.

I tried out for District Trombone, and lone behold with only a week of practice I got third chair in both Jazz and Wind ensemble! I wiggled to and fro with joy when I heard the news, and then receded into my previous delirious state when rememebring that I live in Vermont and 5 people auditioned. Shortly thereafter, I started reading a textbook for homework for th next hour and a half.

Oh well.

On the brighter side regarding music, I finally got a band started. We suck, but hey, we're a band. However, I get to write a Be-Bop composition for Jazz Band, and I really feel composition taking a large part in my future. I'm gonna end this one off with some Be-Bop songs by the true greats. By the way, Charlie Parker is truly the all and powerful divine reincarnation of Jesus! OK, that's a little far, it was a joke. But he is the lord in my view, and here's why: When first heard, you will hear constant chord progressions and Charlie Parker (a.k.a. Bird) improvising so quickly and effervescently (try to interpret that as a musical term and you'll know what I mean) over it that it seems he's mere playing notes. In reality, if one were to write out the solo or slow down the tempo, you would see that his improvisation coincides perfectly with each chord change, changing his scale every measure and playing at least different 8 notes per measure. (Don't worry guys, I won't get all strung out on heroin like our good old friend Sonny, I'm just obsessed with Bird and want to have nymph babies with him).

1. Blue Leather Shoes - Charlie Parker
2. Round Midnight - Thelonious Monk
3. Blue Monk - Thelonius Monk
4. Summertime - Dizzy Gillespie
5. Summertime - Charlie Parker

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I have a whole CD of Charlie Parker jamming with Dizzy and Charlie Mingus, but I haven't "cracked" it yet - every time I listen to it I get totally lost in the waterfall of umpteenth-notes. I just need to improve the precision of my jazz-listening ear, I suppose.

12:40 PM, November 10, 2005

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

Hey Henrik, at a frisbee tournament today there were people from Vermont. I almost said hi to someone who looked like you from behind... freaky.

5:53 PM, November 10, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home