Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Cultural Philistia

So today in English we were discussing our new book, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, which is based on African-American folktales. My teacher (a big discussion/personal experience fan) opened up a class discussion about myths and folktales in our personal experience. Anyway, we were talking about movies (as sources of cultural folktales, I suppose), and my teacher is like, "Oh, this is kind of off-topic, but I just saw this film that is a great example of characterization. It's called Napoleon Dynamite."

I probably do some kind of spasm of excitement at this moment: (in my high-pitched Mafia voice) "I LOVE that movie!"

Blank stares around the class (no I'm not kidding, people).

Mr. Carlier: "It's about these kids in . . . where is it, Idaho, or somewhere like that . . . they're kind of nerdy, they don't really do anything, just sit around . . ."

A student in my class ( I am NOT MAKING THIS UP): "Well, if the characters don't do anything, how can the movie be any good? What's the point?"

(Mr. Carlier attempts to explain the purpose of Napoleon Dynamite - the class remains relatively nonplussed)

Mr. Carlier: "So, if we have a chance, I'd really like to show it in class."
*whimper of joy from me*
*everybody else looks like they'd rather watch Apocalypse Now*

OK, maybe I'm mis-characterizing this a little; you can't really blame these Europeans for not appreciating the masterpiece of our time, because the movie never showed in Europe (although there were two Americans in the class - treason!). Nevertheless, as an unapologetic, die-hard Napoleon Dynamite junkie (perhaps I have an "unhealthy obsession" for the movie), I am appalled! So much for Europe as the artistic capital of the world (if a continent was ever a capital in the first place).

Sam

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

I have to admit, Napoleon Dynamite had its funny moments for me, but ultimately wasn't that great. We didn't *click*.

Oh man, I am going to get squashed by the likes of Sam and Matt. Over cyberspace.

Haha!

6:46 PM, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger Meredith said...

I am horrified! You must have Napoleon Dynamite to infiltrate Europe immediately.

9:00 PM, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

Jsn, you're dead! lol.

Sam, you must have your teacher show Napleon Dynamite. Even Europeans can appreciate unrequited genius once in a while, right?

Don't worry, you don't have an unhealthy obsession. You weren't in the states during Halloween. There were more Napoleons than, uhh... something with a lot of Napoleons, but less than those during Halloween because that's what I'm comparing it too.

Yeah

9:49 PM, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

*to

9:50 PM, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

Oh, Jason, was TASP the only time you've seen it?

Because everyone I know, (admittedly including me) felt the same way you do. It had its moments, but not too good overall.

The second time you see it, you'll be at a Sam/Matt level.

9:58 PM, November 07, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

I don't know if Jason will ever really appreciate Napoleon Dynamite. My theory is that Europeans simply don't get Napoleon Dynamite, at least not on the same level that Americans do. There's so much in that movie that is so purely American - tater tots, Mormon culture, high school P.E. classes, etc. - that it can't possibly *click* with people who haven't been immersed in American culture throughout their lives. To them, it's just weird. I'll bet there are plenty of French films out there that are hilarious to les francais but seem pointless to Americans - ND just cuts the other way.

So don't worry, Jason. You can't help not getting it (elitist as it sounds, I think it's probably true). No cybersqaushings from me, anyway.

12:39 PM, November 08, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Interesting.

Must remember to watch it a second time and see which theory applies to me.

6:18 PM, November 08, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

Oh, and just to smash your theory some more, Matt, I loved Napoleon Dynamite even the first time I watched it.

4:19 PM, November 09, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home