Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Knowing

I know where I'm going to college! And it's a pretty sweet feeling.

I visited Carleton and Macalester over spring break, and now I've finally made a decision. I liked Carleton: everyone was obviously very serious about school, the campus was beautiful, the people were nice. But I got waitlisted, so that poses a bit of a problem. I liked Macalester: everyone was obviously very serious about school, the campus is right in St. Paul, the people were interesting, engaged, and really active in student life. But it wasn't the multicultural utopia they sold me in the brochures. The environmental group, whose ambition and effectiveness almost did sell me on the place, said they felt that a lot of people were narrow minded and to quote one kid, "they used the word hegemony a lot to discribe things on campus." They still loved it of course, but I didn't like what they said. Does every campus have a similar situation? Definately. But I decided instead of Carelton or Macalester to take option three: Calvin College. I don't like that it's so near home (and the 25% of kids in my graduation class who will go there). I don't like that it's not Georgetown. But there's plenty I do like as well. It's still a pretty good school with a kickass philosophy department and a decent poli sci department. It's got tons of study abroad options, which I will certainly take advantage of. And it's going to be virtually free because I have 80% off tuition since my mum teaches there, they gave me a $10,000 renewable scholarship, and Michigan will give me $2500 if I stay in state.

Alright, that last paragraph was mostly to convince myself that this was the right decision, and I really think it is. I put in my housing application yesterday to try and get into the Mosaic community, which is mostly international students, and I'm looking forward to it. Along with orientation I'll be going on a 12-day canoeing/backpacking/climbing trip in Ontario in the summer, so that's something to look forward to as well. So I think I'm happy? Yes, I'm definately happy. ^__^

I hope the decision goes well for everyone else!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

Oooh, speaking of summer plans, guess where I'm going, Emma.

That's right, China!

Beijing, baby!

Am looking forward to it immensely.

4:51 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Excellent. I'm sure you'll be fine wherever you do, and Calvin sounds good.

8:33 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

Yay Emma! I think you will be very happy at Calvin.

1:22 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

definite congratulations

5:38 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

!!!

5:39 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger Dylan said...

Yay TULIP!

(First person besides Emma to get above reference wins an as yet undetermined prize).

11:36 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats, Emma! Much love...
:)

11:45 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinism

"The five points of Calvinism, which can be remembered by the English acronym TULIP are:

Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistable grace, Perseverance of the saints."

So, what'd I win?

^^

By the way, sorry if I didn't say it the first time, but congratulations Emma!

7:00 AM, April 12, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

Eww, please don't remind me that my school of choice subscribes to unconditional election...There's another reference in there too of course. Mind you, I'm not going to Hope College in the aptly named town of Holland, MI.

4:39 PM, April 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home