Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Monday, August 29, 2005

oh, lots of things

Well hey, guys. It's officially Monday the 29th and therefore the first day of school...BUT NO. No it's not. Because this year my school is School Year Abroad, and in like a week I'm leaving for Rennes, France. So all my friends are soundly asleep, but look at me, I'm posting on the blog. HA-HA.

Meredith, what is this bubble-crepe place you speak of? Where? I did a massive Google for such a place (bubble tea, I mean, not crepe) around here and I did find a washington post forum mentioning somewhere new but not its whereabouts. Inform me, please! (I know of just four tea places in the area: there's one in Montgomery Mall, which is where I tried my very first bubble tea a year ago. I hated it and didn't finish, amazingly. But it's an acquired taste, so I'll go back and see. There are a whopping two in Wintergreen Plaza on Rockville Pike--I.Cream, an ice cream store, and TenRen, a tea supply store, whatever that is. I've been to I.Cream but have not had tea in either of those places. Then there is Teaism in Dupont Circle and two other locations. I went about a week ago and had a chai shake, which was decent, and then a "zhengzhou pearl", what they call a bubble tea, which was barely passable. It only came in one flavor--milk tea, presumably--and the bubbles were soft, soft, soft! Pshhh. On another note, I was reading the YDN college guide's entry for UMich, and they mentioned Amer's, Stucchi's, which they spelled Stucci's, and our very own Bubble Island. This parenthetical has got to end. Here we go.)

Jason, if you're still reading this post, what a rockin' coincidence: I'm reading A Clockwork Orange too (I'm like 35 pp. from the end.) I'm reading the superspecial new edition with Anthony Burgess's hidden chapter at the end (omitted from the movie as well as most editions of the book.) My copy has no Nadsat dictionary, though I did start reading one online (and stopped once I realized how much I disliked it.) Anyway, learning the language myself was (is) an aweeeesome experience--to anyone who hasn't read ACO, do it this way. Not nearly as vertiginous as flipping to the end all the time as you read, I would say, and much much cooler. Whenever a new word came up I'd take a stab at its meaning (usually easy, given the context) and write my guesses in the margin. Surprisingly, I remembered most of my inferences and thus did not have to turn back to them as I read. Some I changed as I went. I started internalizing it and even thinking in Nadsat a bit ("this veck is full of cal!"). The online dictionary was bothersome--I thought cantora meant room, not office, and creech was definitely scream, not "yell or scream" or whatever. I still don't know what they think horrorshow means and I have no desire to look it up because I have my own definition all nicely formed in my head. ANYWAY, as soon as I found "govoreet", one of the very few Russian words I know, I started suspecting Nadsat had Russian roots, which indeed it does, although when I got to "toofles" for slippers I started thinking there might be some French influence (in French pantoufles are slippers, yeah?). Apparently, though, toofles is Russian-derived too. Cool stuff! Anyway, that's enough of this, droogie.

So the past week I spent volunteering like whoa, trying to get my 60 hours done all at once. I did it in a nursing home. I thought the people would like me and I would learn great things about the world and my own character, but alas, no. They resented me, told me to stop wandering around, etc. I ended up doing massive amounts of clerical work to avoid them including this filing project that near killed me (I finished it at almost 11:00 last night.) Anyway I'm done there, for which fact I am mad glad.

Has anyone heard of Christopher Paolini, the seventeen-year-old author of "Eragon" and now "Eldest"? It seems he's challenging Harry Potter for the number one spot on the bestseller lists. He was at my Barnes and Noble today and I came to see him at 1 p.m. naively expecting coming on time would be enough (as is usually the case at readings), but no, there were massive crowds and I couldn't find parking so I missed him. Pity. They closed off the whole bottom floor of Barnes and Noble to laymen, too, so I couldn't even look at French grammar books. I was crying inside after all that Sturm und Drang so I got myself a venti frappuccino, normally too indulgent even for me, and drank it all superquickly while reading Bobos in Paradise. Scary.

Sorry to be unloading all my topics all at once (i should post more frequently, shouldn't i) but, well, I finished High Fidelity at home rather than at TASP and I had a question. At the end when he's DJing again an annoying guy comes to the door of the club and says something in "a familiar voice". I don't remember exactly but he's this kind of obnoxious guy with whom Rob promptly deals and then he is gone. Are we supposed to know who this fellow is? Do any of you?

Speaking of HiFi, I think the title is so cute, and I had a discussion question for you guys: what are books you've read with exceptionally good/appropriate titles? I can't think of many. I guess Crime and Punishment is an okay title, although it's a translation. And The Great Gatsby is a good title, and Of Mice and Men, and The Catcher in the Rye (school books all.) I can't make heads or tails of The Sun Also Rises given the book itself, and frankly I don't much care--Hemingway is poshlust. But yeah, my favorite book title is "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin, a Russlit book I read last year. I know Samyu has read parts of this book but if you haven't, you really ought to. It is the most underrated member of the troika (!) of dystopian novels and, in my humble opinion, outdoes 1984. Brave New World, too, I hear. The Mirra Ginsburg translation is awesome, so read it when you get a chance and you'll see how ill the title is.

Actually I like the Pussycat Dolls song "Don't You" (properly "Don't Cha"), although I don't see why he'd care that his girlfriend wasn't a freak or, for that matter, raw (wth?). Is it just my poor understanding of Motown or does it get faintly Motownish during the verses? I will say it is so characteristic of dumb pop songs to slather on the indicative. I feel like I listen to enough of them that I've forgotten when to use the subjunctive! For instance, do you guys remember (not that a TASPer would ever listen to such dross, ahem) Gwen Stefani's "If I Was A Rich Girl"? It was a hit like four months ago. It's stolen from Fiddler on the Roof's "If I Were a Rich Man", but oooh no, Gwen Stefani could not deal with that, so she changed the "were" to "was" and made it an obnoxious song in other ways too.

Okay, this was terribly long, and if you're still reading this why thank you very much and I'm so sorry. And I miss you guys times ten to the fourth. k that's enough.

PS emma thank you for the letter! I just got it and am responding soon yay

6 Comments:

Blogger Dylan said...

I must confess that I actually read Eragon. I found it (as I found Harry Potter) somewhat derivative*, but fun nonetheless. The strange thing was what it was (primarily, in addition to the requisite Tolkien similarities) derivative of: Star Wars! I do realize that they both share a fairly typical "hero's journey" stories, but (particularly for the first 1/2 of the book or so, you can match of characters and plot events rather exactly. What do you think?

*derivative in the mathematical sense as well:d(Star Wars)/dx=Eragon. You can have lots of fun with this game: d(Mick Jagger)/dx=Steven Tyler, etc. Like mathematical derivatives, these cultural derivatives lose an order of complexity, but can nonetheless be useful. Okay...that's enough geekiness. But what happens when you integrate (Mick Jagger)dx? Marvin Gaye, perhaps? The Stones did take a lot from Motown...

As for High Fidelity, without looking back at the book, I seem to remember that it was that random dude he was always throwing out of the record store, the one who always asked for the same record that Rob didn't stock. But maybe I'm remembering wrong...

I actually don't mind bad grammar in songs. An excellent example of a good song with bad grammar is "In the Midnight Hour," in which Wilson Pickett repeatedly sings to his "baby" that they'll be together "just you and I." I think the pain of listening to "If I Was A Rich Girl" probably results more from Gwen Stefani's general lack of musical talent than from her poor grammar.

10:27 AM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

Sophie, I'm reading Nabokhov and Zamyatin very soon. As soon as school starts, for that matter - Sept 7.
I've heard that Paolini displaced HP from the lists - isn't that amazing? He's a homeschooled seventeen-year old kid from the prairie! wow, I bet his governess or tutor or whatever is in high demand rite now.
Have a lot of fun in France! I'm quite jealous, frankly, but I guess I couldn't go even if I wanted to - can't speak French to save my life. O well..
You were the only one who read Sophie's Choice by W. Styron, rite? Turns out that Sophie was a polyglot as well. hahaaa.. ok that was goofy. Pardon.

12:32 PM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

I read WE, and I actually preferred 1984, and definitely Brave New World. Although it's been a long time since i've read any of the three . . . Brave New World was the most relevant to our modern world, I think, which is probably why I liked it the best.

I just read this smashingly good book by Toni Morrison for English, which has a very appropriate title: Song of Solomon. Heart of Darkness is up there too.

Sam

4:24 PM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Isn't Nadsat the greatest language to swear in? I mean, what could be more coarse and expressive of hatred than "grazhny bratchny"?

Paolini sounds intriguing, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter fan that I am. But I'm incredulous, did Eldest overtake The Half-Blood Prince on the bestseller lists? Or what?

7:41 PM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

A Clockwork Orange is the book that got me interested in the musical TASP in the first place. If you consider the three-part structure of the book and the fact that Burgess was a composer in his spare time, there are some real parallels to classical sonata form in the reappearance of themes and events in various modulations. The book is bound very tightly by music, if you take the time to look carefully.

10:20 PM, August 29, 2005

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Ok, the bubble tea place is Thomas Jefferson Street. If you're going from Wisconsin towards Sephora and Urban Outfitters, TJ Street is just past the Barnes and Noble, I recall, and you turn right. It's about midway b/t M and K streets.

2:42 AM, August 31, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home