Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Jane Austen and Sushi

Heya!

Anybody thought of watching the new Pride and Prejudice? I'm wondering whether Keira Knightley could play Elizabeth Bennet even remotely as well as Jennifer Ehle. Judging by the inital critics' reaction... probably not... but then again who's ever trusted critics. Blech... I'll just remain content with my memories of the five-hour miniseries from TASP.

Yesterday in my English class we got to watch the archetypal '90's teenie movie: Clueless. The excuse? Well, I was very surprised to find out that the movie is actually a modern day adaptation of Austen's Emma. If you didn't know this already, watch it. The parallels are startling once you notice them.

On a more random note, here are two really fun ways I discovered today in which you can amuse yourself when confronted with lots of sushi (or at least passable pseudo-sushi which is all we get in Vienna):

1. Have a competition with friends to see how many pieces of maki you can stuff into your mouth without chewing. My current record is nine, so there's something to aspire to.

2. Consume increasingly large lumps of wasabi, without water, while trying to outstare someone else. Only for the extremely masochistic.

Oh and Charles, why does the third button actually have to be unbuttoned? Google is giving me unsatisfactory answers, to the tune of "just do it!" Maybe we should have a fashion revolution. Now there's a thought...

Enough babbling from me.

Till later everyone,

Jason

4 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:28 PM, September 23, 2005

 
Blogger Meredith said...

We convinced my friend to eat a huge gob of wasabi for $5. She was fine for about three seconds, and then she was like, "Why did you let me do that?!" So much pain. It was an excellent moment. That makes me sound really evil, but I swear I'm not.
Also, in terms of unbuttoning the bottom button: do it because girls think it's sexier. It's like, he's dressed up nice, but he doesn't completely follow the clothing's attempts at rules not giving in to buttoning that last button. The end!

8:30 PM, September 23, 2005

 
Blogger Emma said...

Eww, maki....

10:56 PM, September 23, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

I think my parents once read Emma, watched the Gwyneth Paltrow film adaptation, and then watched Clueless all in short succession. I was too young to participate, but it was probably an interesting exercise . . . my parents say Clueless is actually truer to the book than the period film adaptation.

7:24 AM, September 24, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home