Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

no subject

Hi guys - I'm so sorry for being out of it for the past couple of weeks. In fact, I don't think I've blogged since the start of school, which was over a month ago. I must make up. The fact is, that I've been loaded with school work since the first day, and I have had no time to breathe at all. But I have been reading your posts diligently, and it's great to hear about your doings and outings. Seems like you've been living it up to the fullest.
School is not too bad. I'm taking a few hard classes, I've dropped some and overall it hasn't been too bad. My schedule looks something like this:


1 - AP Chemistry (hum drum... the teacher is xtremely soporific, and she does powerpoint all the time)
2 - Chem Labs/Physics labs (alternate days. but in every six-day cycle, I get two days off!!)
3 - AP Physics (I absolutely love this teacher. Dry humor at its best)

4 - Free/ Gym (for now, because of tennis I get free everyday, but soon, I'll have gym on odd numbered days, and omg, it's with my sister!! with the eighth-graders!!! aarargh!!)
5 - AP English (this is my hardest class. The teacher is THE hardest grader ever. but its fun)
6 - Chorus/Lunch (Chorus is only the first half of the period)
7 - AP Calculus (erm, what?? what's integral again?)
8 - AP Govt & Politics/ AP Macroeconomics (these are one-semester classes)
I have the same people in most of my classes. It's not a very big school, only about 190 kids in my grade, so everyone who's taking government and politics the first semester instead of third-period macroeconomics, and who's doing the only-AP-courselist thing, is in every one of my classes. Except Chem. That's because I'm the nerd, and am the only person doing two sciences. Most people have languages or science scholars (research class) or yearbook publishing or art or health or something like that. So my Chem class is full of sophomores and bookworms. I really don't like that class. I tried to get it changed, but the only other option available was some sort of photography or something and AP European History (usu. offered only to sophomores, I'd be the only senior). But Euro is a shitload of work, not worth doing it on top of every other class I'm taking, so that was out of the question. Photography was an appealing option to me, because I really like taking pictures. But then my counselor found out that that class was filled and it was "against NY law to put you in, my dear.." And then there was sitting in with the seventh graders and learning Spanish 7 or French 7. But on top of my taking gym with the eighth graders...I couldn't handle it. (The odd gym is because I'm taking two sciences, and the normal routine of having gym every other day with labs wasn't possible)
[one day in physics: (in a monotonous tone) "Ok, let's now proceed to kill two birds with one stone. ... [pause] My apologies to the birds." hahhahahaha, how can I not love this guy?]
The other major 'happening' is tennis. I'm playing fifth-doubles, so my game never counts in the overall score, but I'm really grateful for landing that spot. We have seven doubles teams, and sixth and seventh normally don't even play. The only times they play are when a certain doubles member doesn't show up, and then the whole team gets booted up. So fifth-doubles is pretty nice for a newcomer like me. I play exhibition matches normally. My partner and I make up our own rules and play games like: who can hit the opponents the most? It's great fun. No pressure, but we get so much experience.
However the fall season is the shortest of the year. And I have only 3 more weeks before winter sports take over. That sucks double, because it also means that I have to go do the dreaded gym with my sis. It wouldn't be that bad, but for the fact that eighthgraders are divided by gender, and there are no options in choosing what you want to do for the next four weeks. If the teacher decides to do gymnastics, everybody has to do gymnastics. And I can't do gymnastics!! this is a phantasma, Henrik, it really is.
And guess what? You'll never believe this. Apparently we always had cable!!!!! All my mom did was put it on video! So the other day, the remote fell in between the sofa cushions, and when I sat on the couch, it got pressed and changed to TV mode! Omigod. So I confronted my mom and she persuaded me to not tell my sister. But today, my sister found out by the same exact method. This drove my mom to pull the cable plug out for good. I saw her doing it, but of no avail - I'm a tech retard. And there's no way I'm telling my sis. If anyone's watching TV, it would be me. If she starts at it, she just won't stop. That's how I got dragged into watching That's so Raven marathons. Yuck.
And I mean, my mom is providing for us through videos. This month's screenings include:
War and Peace - with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda and someone else
Emma - with Paltrow
Million Dollar Baby - Swank
Vanity Fair - Witherspoon (loved it)
Mansfield Park - with a bunch of unknowns, it was really bad, guys.
Freaky Friday - Lohan
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen - Lohan (all the Disney movies are my sister's doing)
Bride and Prejudice - with Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson. was average
and then a whole bunch of Hindi and Telugu movies.
well, I think I'll save some for later. Have a good day!
PS: I got two days off for Rosh Hashannah!

Best,
Samyutka

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason Chua said...

"I'll break two coconuts for you today..."

:D

I laughed so hard after reading that. It's the best line I've heard in a looong time. And I'm not even sure why!

Anyway, glad to see you're back on the blog. I hope school doesn't get you bogged down too much. Oh, and please please don't apply to twenty colleges. For your own health, don't.

It's such a strange concept to me, this whole taking classes filled with people from different grades. Oh well, make the most of it, and I hope that AP Chem doesn't become too much of a drag.

Jason

4:57 PM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Isn't a phantasm some sort of distorted version of reality, or a ghostly apparition? Anyway, I just love the fact that you can use all of phantasm, phantasma, and phantasmata.

Phantasmata. Great word, huh?

7:15 PM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

My parents watched Bride and Prejudice the other night. I only watched the first ten minutes or so - those big production numbers aren't my thing, I guess.

Is it just me, or did you mispell your own name at the bottom of this post? And did I just misspell the word "misspell"?

11:42 AM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Whodunnit?

I doubt that Samyu would deliberately misspell her own name, and then highlight the error. Incidentally, you guys do realise that blog posts can be edited, right? By the way, it wasn't me.

12:55 PM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

haha, i did it for mark!

1:43 PM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger Emma said...

careful, my mum roomed with the director of Mansfield Park in college! And you have to admit, it's MUCH better than the book. I don't know what Austen was thinking....Fanny is soooo stupid!

5:25 PM, October 05, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home