Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

nighttime babble

so I was playing Cranium today with my parents and their friends and one of the trivia questions came up for my team that was like "true or false- a sonnet has 16 lines in it". being a shakespeare nerd I immediatly shouted"bulls--t, its 14! three quatrains and a couplet!" needless to say I got some weird looks. My parents probably think I memorize them to use on girls. I wonder if they know that 99 percent of them are x rated, and a good 2/3 are homosexual. hmmm. my team lost anyway.

anyway, after that thouroghly random interlude. and I totally just misspelled thouroughly. thuroly? thoughroley? thoroughly? aw screw it.

so to weigh in on the discussion posed by Meredith. I think the problem stems from our confusion between "equality" and "facsimile". to say that any one member of the gender cannot behave outside that genders typical behavior and forfiet their association with that gender is of course, unfair, but we need to acknowledge that there are differences between the sexes. this is not meaning that women are not allowed to assert themselves, but the science will tell us that the gender as a whole tends to assert themselves in a way that is different than that of most men. one cannot of course ignore that many men (and women) have been brought up to think that women cannot assert themselves and so any instance of assertiveness is thought of as masculine and out of a female's bounderies. I will say that, to me, the situation that you outlined seemed very within a "feminine assertiveness" (a male I would have imagined banging the table and making demands) so in the end I agree with you. There is my two cents. feel free to shoot holes in it as you please.

saw Harry yesterday. a little conflicted as to what I felt about it. take Hermione, the actress is really hot, but she doesn't correspond to the character at all. spends way too much time with her emotions and hugging harry. in the end I just came away thinking that if I wanted to see raging hormones I could walk the halls of my school. Harry is for seeing some magic and sweet special effects. also, what is with the hippie dumbledore? I half expected to see a hookah when they panned his office. on the plus side moody/crouch was awesome.

I made a mix for the play today.
To explain that last sentence, what I mean is that we have music playing while we warm up and put on makeup. to that end, I downloaded a tower of power funk song from itunes and discovered that because it is a live cut it has the intro to the next track at the end. It goes "we're going to slow things down a bit and sing a love song, so just grab the person next to you and hold them close--" and it cuts off.
Sooo.... what song could we put next that would complete that wonderful introduction? why Carmen Sandiego of course. you would not believe how awesome it sounds

anyway its probably time for me to stop rambling.

ttfn
ta ta for now

-bern

3 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Um, how about the part where Dumbledore sets upon Harry as though in a mad, homocidal rage?
That part seemed the strangest to me.

9:40 AM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

voldemort is so elegant though! ralf fiennes (pron: reif fiennes?) is stellar.
also, i agree with the argument.. i think.
ERA sucks. Innate gender differences are a fact.

6:05 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Dylan said...

Samyu = Phyllis Shlafly ?

10:45 PM, November 26, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home