Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Oh Capital! Capital!

Goodness, Thanksgiving has not been kind at all on my gastrointestinal system. The madness started on Wednesday with a huge feast at a local restaurant to celebrate my mum's birthday, and some obligatory cakeage. Thanksgiving was a constant state of chewing and swallowing, from candy apples to rice porridge to turkey legs to stuffing and soup and sundry other manifestations of yumminess. Today, I went over to my girlfriend's house and we made two pumpkins pies, a couple slices of which I used to top my whipped cream. Dinner was wonderful Thanksgiving leftovers, so I ate just as much as I did on the real day. Suffice to say, I was well fed. Of course, that all comes at a price, so at 11:15 as it is now, my stomach is rebelling mightily, and its contents are trying to burst through my abdomen. Owies.

On a brighter note, I introduced my girlfriend to Pride and Prejudice today, which also gave me an opportunity to rewatch the movie and notice little things I missed. Apparently, the actress playing Jane was pregnant during filming, and it's quite noticeable in a couple of scenes, though the costumework was well done to compensate. And Mr. Bennet is even more amazing than I had remembered. What a man, what a man. I think what was most striking about watching the movie was realizing how freaking long it is. I had realized it was quite an epic, but 5 hours in one sitting is quite taxing on the glazzballs. We gave up at the beginning of the second disc and will continue tomorrow. Two discs: clever, that. So now I'm thinking in a British accent and some Victorian mannerisms are creeping into my speech. But all is well, for I have this masterpiece of a movie to hold me over. And everyone knows it only as a chick flick. Hmph.

8 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Ah! Capital indeed! I'm also thinking in a British accent because I watched the first disc last night too! It's been a crazy Pride and Prejudice weekend for me, because my family watched the new one (that only just opened here) in the theater for our traditional Thanksgiving movie, then, the girl who lives with me came home from her aunt's house the next day and wanted to see it, so I went again with her to see the new one, and then, because we wanted to compare it with the BBC version, we watched the first disc of the 5 hour one last night, which we will finish tonight. I actually liked the new one. Jason was right, Jane is MUCH better, and the cinematography was really great. Of course it cut out a lot of the tension and witty dialogue and contained a lot impropriotous behavior that wouldn't have happened, but it did what a film adaption is supposed to do, and in general, I enjoyed it. I feel like I should go back and read the book now this afternoon....

11:03 AM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

knightly is being oscar-nominated.

6:08 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Emma said...

Charles, why did you post this at 11:15 pm on November 26th when really it was nothing of the sort? Very sinister if you asked me...

10:06 PM, November 26, 2005

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Heh, those empire waists made everyone look pregnant.

7:56 AM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger Sam said...

I reserve my right to strongly dislike the new version, while acknowledging that the cinematography and Jane portrayal were both pretty darn good. I'm curious, though, Emma - what IS a film adaptation supposed to do? I can't come up with a good answer to that myself.

*silent protest of Knightley's Oscar nomination*

5:13 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger berno said...

yeah, what IS up with your post? it went up like 30 seconds after mine did, but three posts have now mysteriously slid in between them.

*silently distrusts modern technology*

5:40 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

Hah! I never knew a mistakenly modified time would wreak such havoc (what else can anything wreak, really?) The weird thing is, you can change the time to some point far in the future so that your thread forever floats to the top of the blog. MUAHAHAHAH, the devious uses for that!

7:21 PM, November 27, 2005

 
Blogger Emma said...

To reference the guy who wrote the BBC Pride and Prejudice screenplay, a film adaption should offer some interpretation of the story, not just put pictures alongside the words written by the author of the book. Also, I think cinematography is really important, and mostly, that's what the new film championed. Hmm, I like using that word as a verb. All this Jane Austen-ness has thrown me into a reading frenzy; I've already finished Lady Susan (a rather odd, early Austen work written completely in letters) and gotten half way through Sense and Sensibility. What contentment is mine.

10:22 PM, November 27, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home