Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Classical Musicking Happenings

Well, this week was quite the adventure in musicking; it started with a concert and ended with me close enough to a Stradivarius to steal it. Woohoo!

So I mentioned earlier that I was going to see the St. Louis Symphony and the world-famous violinist Gil Shaham as soloist. Well, all I can say is that the concert rocked my white cotton socks off! If you ever get the chance to see a great violin concerto, do take the opportunity.

On Saturday, Shaham stopped by one of the local music schools to teach a master class open to the public. For those uninitiated, a master class is set up with a small group of students playing one at a time for a master and receiving critiques/pointers/tangential jokes afterwards.

But that's all trivia, because Shaham plays on a Stradivarius, and he brought it along. Strads are basically mythical to violinists; they are, I would argue, the greatest instruments in the world. If nothing else, they are the most valuable by far. Shaham's 1699 Stradivarius is worth about 2 million dollars at least. So, of course, I expected it to be encased in a massive metal sarcophagus with armed guards surrounding. Instead, Shaham walks in with a beat up old case and sits down across the aisle from me. It was so unassuming that I thought he just picked up a spare for the particular lesson. But he opened the case, and there it was. All I can say is, all the myths are true. The instrument itself is mesmerizingly beautiful, and the sound...mmmmm... Gil picked up his instrument to play a fast example passage, and all hell broke loose. I sat not ten feet away, and the sound just blew me away. I don't really know how to describe it; it's so pure. It's not really earsplittingly loud, but it's incredibly focused, maybe? The sound just rings and rings and rings forever after a lift. My girlfriend, who is a violinst herself, said the sound was so big as to almost be painful to listen to. In the quiet words of our favorite Top Gear presenters, it was epic. I can't even really think of a witty analogy at the moment, it was just that good. I left satisfied, for sure. Whew.

-Charles

PS: I had a WashU interview afterwards. I have no comment; it was pretty boring. Not particularily bad, but not memorable. My interviewer was a sorority-dwelling art major during her formative college years. You can imagine that we didn't have too much in common to chat about. Meh, I just hope that pro-St. Louis bias works towards me in admissions. Harvard interview on Thursday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

jealous!

10:11 AM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

I don't remember where this came from, but apparently WashU agreed to host TASP solely (or at least mostly) in the hopes of enticing some TASPers to enroll there for college. Dunno how well that's going for them.

Good luck for the Harvard one.

9:28 PM, January 16, 2006

 
Blogger Charles Wu said...

Ermm... my interview went alright, I suppose. But yeah, we had a stock sheet of information that acted as a pseudo-resume. Just ask your interviewer if he wants anything in particular.

11:45 PM, January 19, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

My Harvard interviewer just had me tell him my scores at the end of the interview, then email them to him afterwards.

5:22 PM, January 21, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home