Here is the secret-not-so-secret online Nunnian shrine made by the loving 05 UMich TASPers. Enter our homology. We are Triumphant in Turquoise--and all other colors. WORRRRD.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I sincerely apologize

to all I offended with my comments on Sam's post.

I told you it was going to be bad.

I writing you becuase it is four in the morning and I am supposed to be working on three massive health units, all of which have to be done by friday or I don't graduate. Anyway, I have writers block, so I thought I'd talk to you all for a while.

Just got back from the weird cross country trip. Spent the first three days in Ithaca (which was beautiful) and then after getting back tuesday evening, left at 6:00 wednesday morning with my band for seattle. It's feeling a bit surreal. Band tour went as well as could be expected--we had a couple workshops with colleges; some of which were more effective than others; we got to see the group Stomp, I found the worlds most wonderful crumpet shop, had one fight with my roommates, couple kids got drunk, nobody got pregnant. All in all a fairly good trip.

At long last I know where I am going to college. I liked cornell, but the financial aid when it came made it not even an option. My dad and I did the numbers and figured it out to be that if we ignored all costs such as travel or books and my parents paid a third of their gross yearly income, I would graduate with a 40,000 debt--assuming I did not get sick or go to graduate school, neither a good assumption.

So I'm going to St. Olaf. Its a good school and I did like it, I am just a little bummed that it doesn't really have a jazz program. On the plus side, because my sister went there, a lot of the professors--in particular the music faculty--already know me to some extent. And, because of national merit, I will be able to graduate from there debt free which will be a major load off my back. And yes, like Emma, I am writing this in part to convince myself that I made a good choice.
I'd better get back to my health. Nothing like an impending deadline to really make you lose sleep. I really dig junk that nobody, not even the teacher, likes. We're required to do it because some idiot over in the salem legislature has decided that we, as students, have obviously not heard the phrase "Abstinence is the only..." enough times and we should have it pounded into our skulls a few thousand more before we graduate.

miss you all

-bern

15 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Yay for college decisions!

I'm sure some inspiration on health will come to you later, Bern.

9:54 AM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger Sanjukta said...

congrats st. bernard.

/winks

4:05 PM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger Emma said...

i will definately come visit you in northfield!

4:08 PM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger Sam said...

Yay Bern! There is a lot to be said for graduating debt-free. My parents managed to do it, and then they were able to do wonderful things like take the job my dad wanted (not the one that paid the most), buy a house, and generally feel free of rainclouds over the head. You're going to be in very good shape.

And it appears that the idiots in the Salem legislature have been successful in their initiatives as far as your band trip was concerned . . . :)

5:35 PM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Congrats! Being debt-free must rock.

What's this health thing?

6:00 PM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

Definite congrats! Show them some stage fighting...

(Does anyone else notice that you could conceivably stage stage fighting?)

7:47 PM, April 27, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

Isn't the whole point of stage fighting that it's staged? As in, the swords don't actually go through people?

6:22 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger Henrik Herb said...

Matt, do you mean to say one could direct a play of say, UMICH TASP 05 and STAGE a scene where Bern teaches us how to STAGE FIGHT?

That would be ridiculously funny

6:44 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger Meredith said...

Oh what a tangled web that weaves.

6:55 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger Henrik Herb said...

Or, by staging a stage fight, would one really be fighting? Chew on that one...

9:43 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger slaytonm said...

it's a meta-stage fight.

(If anyone's ever read "godel, escher, bach")
meta-meta-meta-meta-meta-meta.....

9:56 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger Dylan said...

Okay...first off, congratulations, Bern! It must feel great to know where you're going, and to know that you'll be set to go in the world once you get out.

Second off, I love meta-theater. Meta stage-fights would be pretty awesome. By the way, I also love TASPers, and this discussion demonstrates why.

11:39 PM, April 28, 2006

 
Blogger Jason Chua said...

What would meta stage-fighting be? Combat involving audience members? Because that would indeed be amazing.

5:06 PM, April 29, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

What if you staged a staging of a play where a director directs actors to stage the creation of an organization called the Telluride Association which in turn stages a selection process whereby kids are made to believe that they will be sent to a summer seminar on various intellectually stimulating subjects, when in fact the sole purpose of this staging is to bring all of these unassuming bystanders together in a room where one young man from Oregon can stage the instruction of stage fighting and then at a later date another young man from Vermont can speculate on such a staging? What then?

An old woman told me all of this on the streets of New York. I wasn't so sure, but she was insistent. I'm just the messenger.

8:09 PM, May 01, 2006

 
Blogger IsaacNoah said...

CONGRATULATIONS BERN! I'm sure that someday Cornell will house your doctoral thesis as well. But St. Olaf's will be the one blessed with your Nobel Prize (the first) in Awesome.

Mark my words.

8:11 PM, May 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home